Taco Bell TENANT OVERVIEW
Updated: October 17, 2017
- Higher cap rates available
- Engaged in heavy advertising to improve brand image and market penetration
- Often new favorable NNN leases with good increases
- Non-investment grade credit
- Must look closely at performance of franchisor across all locations
- Not all leases require sales reporting
Yum! Brands Q4 Summary
- Fourth-quarter GAAP EPS was $1.26, an increase of 53%.
- Full-year GAAP EPS was $3.77, an increase of 48%.
- Fourth-quarter EPS excluding special items was $0.96, an increase of 20%.
- Full-year EPS excluding special items was $2.96, an increase of 20%.
Taco Bell is a Mexican-inspired quick service restaurant.
Taco Bell typically features a 1,800 - 2,200 square foot building with a drive-thru window, situated on 0.5 - 1.2 acre of land. It is important to note that Taco Bell franchises the majority of its locations. There are a number of various lease agreements and guarantors operating under the Taco Bell banner. As a result, lease terms vary as do cap rates based on the size and strength of the operator and sales at a particular location. The most common lease term is 20 years with four (4) five-year options with increases of 10% every 5 years.
Glen Bell opens his first Taco Bell restaurant in Downey, CA, serving what his customers called "Tay-Kohs." In 1978, Glen sold 868 Taco Bell restaurants to PepsiCo Inc., who then announced the spin-off of its quick service restaurants - KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut now known as Yum! Brands, Inc.
Taco Bell serves made-to-order and customizable tacos and burritos, among other choices, and is the first QSR restaurant to offer American Vegetarian Association (AVA)-certified menu items. Taco Bell and it's more than 350 franchise organizations proudly serve over 42 million customers each week through nearly 7,000 restaurants across the nation.
As the leading Mexican-inspired quick service restaurant brand, Taco Bell plans to have 8,000 restaurants by the year 2023 which they anticipate will add an estimated 100,000 jobs nationwide.
Yum! Brands is ranked number 218 on the Fortune 500 list, with revenues exceeding $6 billion in 2016. Other QSRs under the Yum! Brands banner include Pizza Hut and KFC.
Average Cap Rate
12 mo avg with 10+ yr lease term
Average Property & Lease
|Average Sale Price
||2,000 - 2,500
||0.5 - 1.0 Acres
Average Cap Rate Trend
Rates reflect last 12 mos, short and long-term
Recent Sales Comps
|Port Orchard, WA
Featured Tenant Profiles
Avg. Cap Rate: 5.92%
Avg. Cap Rate: 4.20%
Avg. Cap Rate: 4.41%